Monday, August 31, 2009

For the love of writing



One of my goals when I took on homeschooling was to make Avery a proficient writer and hopefully instill a love of this form of expression, avoiding pressure to "do it right". I think I found the perfect writing curriculum to help me with my goal. Here are just a few of the Writing Principles they list at the beginning of the book by Dave Marks- I just about fell in love!






  • "Every person needs to learn to express ideas and feelings in writing."
  • "There is no right way to write anything!"
  • "The ability to write is not an expression of a body of knowledge that can be learned like a list of vocabulary words."
  • "Writing teachers and their students both learn in any effective writing situation."


How liberating is that!? I am so excited to start writing with Avery. He is such a bright boy with so many wild ideas floating around in his head, and writing is such a huge endeavor. To be able to put your thoughts on paper has got to be one of the hardest things to learn, and teaching it even harder. With this book I feel a little more at ease guiding him through the process.

Happy Writing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment